Hello All,

I just attended my first ARLIS/NA meeting and want to thank everyone for the warm welcome.

There are no plans to bring an ARLIS/NA meeting to Hawaii, but I do want to share an upcoming summer seminar and a symposium that focus on Hawaii's architecture:

The two week field seminar is offered (June 3-14) through the University of Hawaii's Historic Preservation Program in the Department of American Studies. Buildings of the Kingdom of Hawai'i is a three credit class with visits planned to the 19th century buildings on Oahu which predate the overthrow of the Hawaiian Monarchy in 1893.

The Docomomo Hawaii Chapter is hosting the National Symposium in Honolulu this year (September 25-28). Note that good rates have been negotiated at several modernist hotels. Many of the tours focus on Hawaii's prominent modernist architect Vladimir Ossipoff who practiced in Hawaii for 60 years. If you are interested in Ossipoff, Yale University Press published Hawaiian Modern and I oversee his firm's project files at our library.

I am planning to participate in both the seminar and the symposium so please reach out direct to my email or phone if you would like more information.

Aloha,
Malia

Malia Van Heukelem
Art Archivist Librarian