Hello Collective Wisdom,

A faculty member here has asked me about something and I thought I would throw it out there, since I can’t imagine I am the only one getting these kinds of questions.
Her class on Art and Politics in Africa is putting together an online exhibit, via a Wordpress site. The students are dealing mostly with contemporary artists, and I think I am right to advise that if the site is closed to all but the class, and maybe even to the college community, that permissions wouldn’t be needed.  And if an artist’s website has a statement about  use, that would tell her what she’d need to know about that artist. She also would like to know, however, how this would change were they to make it more open. I assume that this would absolutely require permissions to show images in the ‘exhibition’. Of course, contemporary art has been the fly in the ointment for a very long time..  I just wanted to check and see if there are any new workarounds-the fact that this is African art, as well as contemporary, feels like a lot of roadblocks would stand in the way of a timely solution!

I’d welcome any advice!
And thanks in advance.
Best,
Anne

Anne B. Haas
Art Librarian
Liaison to Art, Asian Studies, Theater/Dance
Bowdoin College
Brunswick, Maine 04011