Hi Traci and Amelia:

I am completely blown away by these documents.  No wonder Rowman & Littlefield signed you up so quickly.  The revised Chapter Outline looks excellent.

I do think an overview/introduction to each chapter will be a good structural element; you will write those after you have all the essays in hand.  Although I understand your wanting to have essays on topics rather than individual case studies, I hope you will get contributions that will address the special issues of those who lead very large art museum libraries as well as those of small/solo libraries.  There are certainly similarities (which is what led to the publication of Art Museum Libraries and Librarianship), but there are also big differences that should be addressed.

As I’ve told you, I love the title, The New Art Museum Library.  I hope the final essays will really stress what is new in art museum libraries—and art museums (!)—since 2007 when Art Museum Libraries and Librarianship was published.  In fact, I would say that should be a perquisite of all the essays you include.  That is what will make the new book different—and saleable—as your answers within the Rowman & Littlefield Book Proposal Outline make clear.  I hope you’ll also be able to get an art museum director who is on the forefront of not only technological, but also ideological changes to write a preface about working on developing audiences as well as collections.  Perhaps ARLIS members who work for such “new” directors can assist with soliciting such an introduction.  Given your relatively short timeline, it is not too early to start making such inquiries.  Perhaps a separate email to the listserv requesting recommendations of likely brave directors might be useful.

By the way, I don’t think it is true that Art Museum Libraries and Librarianship is actually out of print.  It has been available as “Print on Demand” for several years.  I’ve been able to order copies (in paperback only) that are identical to earlier copies—actually the later copies are better as within a year of the initial printing the index was expanded and some typos were corrected.

Congratulations to you and your committee!  I am very happy not only that this publication has found a publisher, but that the changes that have been happening in art museums and their libraries, which are making art museum libraries even more exciting places in which to work, will now be documented in a timely way.

Very best wishes,

Joan