Hi Anna,

I'm not an expert on copyright, so please keep that in mind.

The faculty member is correct - most slavish photos of art (i.e. photographs that document rather than create) are not likely to be protected under copyright law as they don't involve any creative work done on the part of the photographer.

Whether or not there is any creative work done on the part of the photographer is subjective and therefore complicated. Also, whether or not the estate can or cannot make a copyright claim over this photograph is not going to keep them from making a stink about it should it be used in ways they don't approve of. Consider if you'll be able to deal with them should they dispute the professor's use of it, and consider the boundaries crossed if the photo is used in ways they did not give permission for and how that might affect your relationship with them. If the estate goes as far as suing for the use of the photograph, a court of law will likely consider Bridgeman v. Corel, but there's no guaranty the estate will lose.

Copyright of the painting is separate from the copyright of the photograph of the painting. Using its likeness anywhere is likely going to need separate permissions/licenses if the estate can claim copyright over the painting itself. From your initial email, it sounds like they can't make that claim??

I hope this was helpful, and please correct me if I've misunderstood anything.

Samantha Levin