Colleagues:

On behalf of the ARLIS/NA Executive Board, I am writing to announce the publication of the Humanities Commons Task Force Report 2019.

At the 2019 annual conference, the ARLIS/NA Executive Board approved the report's recommendation that the society join the Humanities Commons network. An implementation task force will devise a timetable and detailed action plan in which representatives from all segments of the society’s membership will establish norms and policies for contribution, content, and metadata, programs for maintaining member engagement, and dedicated funding for sustaining ARLIS/NA participation. The implementation task force membership will be named shortly.

This initiative will benefit our members in many ways, most notably by bringing our publications and educational initiatives to a wider audience and by facilitating better communication among ARLIS/NA's constituent groups and with our peer organizations in the humanities field.  It is going to be a lot of work for many of us but the result will be greater collaborative opportunities for our members to help us achieve the objectives outlined in our Strategic Directions.

The planning task force members and co-authors of the report are Meredith Kahn (co-chair), Roger Lawson (co-chair), Nick Curotto, Samantha Deutch, Mark Pompelia, Nancy Short, Karen Stafford, and Jamie Vander Broek.

I would like to commend this task force for their excellent work in moving the society forward.

Best, Laura

Laura Schwartz

Arts & Humanities Collection Strategist

Visual Arts Librarian

Subject Librarian for Film Studies

UC San Diego

858-534-1267

President

Art Libraries Society of North America (ARLIS/NA)