The annual conference is a time to renew relationships as well as forge new connections. For a new person attending their first or second conference this opportunity can seem a bit daunting. Many of us experienced similar feelings during our first conferences: “How can I get more involved?” “I don’t know anyone in this room!” “When am I going to find time to eat?’ “What’s with all the acronyms?”

The Conference Guides program is here to ease new attendee jitters and promote a collegial feeling at our conferences. We pair first or second time attendees with more experienced conference goers who act as their guides during the conference.

Guides arrange to meet their “new attendee” at the start of the conference, and check in with them throughout the conference, introducing them to colleagues, and helping them to get the most from the experience.

This program is rewarding for all involved and is a simple way to volunteer. Participating as a Conference Guide doesn’t take much time and is limited to the duration of the conference.

This year, we’re also looking for people with a proficiency in foreign languages to be conference guides for our international attendees.

The deadline to sign up as a “first timer” or a “guide” is Friday, March 8, 2019. To register for either role please visit the following link: https://goo.gl/forms/D5Z8xXrNzoms5Gto2

Applicants will be notified of potential pairing no later than March 15, 2019

Please contact Megan Lotts, committee chair, at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> for any questions.

Warm regards on behalf of the ARLIS/NA Mentoring Subcommittee,

Sara DeWaay

Jennifer Friedman

Megan Lotts (Chair)

Darin Murphy