Hello everyone,

The Call for Papers has been opened for the annual SECAC (formerly Southeastern College Art Conference) gathering<https://secacart.org/page/Chattanooga>, this year in Chattanooga, TN from Oct. 16-19. I am chairing a session called "Art Libraries, Research, & Artistic Practice," and I wanted to encourage ARLIS/NA members to submit! I'd love to see good art librarian representation at this conference, which, in addition to art history and studio art, also has some really great sessions on pedagogy in the arts every year. SECAC is a really friendly annual conference, and I've enjoyed it very much when I've attended/presented there in the past. Please see the session description below my signature.

The rest of the sessions this year are listed here<https://cdn.filestackcontent.com/o0YxI1yiTnuBF0wyI3FO?SECAC%25202019%2520Sessions.pdf>. And the official Call for Papers is here<https://secac.secure-platform.com/a/solicitations/login/5?returnUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fsecac.secure-platform.com%2Fa%2Fsolicitations%2Fhome%2F5>. The Call for Papers deadline is April 1.

If you have any questions, feel free to get in touch! Please feel free to share as you wish.

All Best,

Courtney Hunt
Art & Design Librarian Assistant Professor
Pronouns: she/her/hers
University Libraries Fine Arts Library
Wexner Center / Room 040L
1871 N. High Street
Columbus, OH, 43210

Art Libraries, Research, & Artistic Practice
Session Chair: Courtney Hunt, The Ohio State University

There is much scholarship in the library world on how art and design librarians can effectively guide students and scholars in learning to see, as well as how to use research materials to accomplish their research or artistic goals. Amanda Meeks, in her paper "Learning to Look Critically," notes the "unique information needs" of practicing artists and how art librarians support these needs and teach visual and information literacy. The truth is, art and design librarians fill many roles in support of the visual arts. Not only do they teach students, but they are often collaborators with other academic faculty and museum curatorial staff as they conduct their own scholarship. Art librarians need to be agile and experts in their field, and generalist enough that they can assist a wide array of those working in the visual arts. This session will take a look at the intersection of art librarians and their constituents, exploring pedagogical practice and the unique support librarians offer practicing artists, designers, and art historians. Papers for this session should address the symbiosis of art libraries, research, and artistic practice and can be generated from the perspective of the art scholar, practicing artist, or art librarian.