Hello everyone,

This past week, a graduate student approached our Japanese Studies librarian with a reference question regarding her paper for Modern Art of China, and she looped me in. The student has recently revised her topic to focus on Chinese artists working in Japan, specifically the artist Guan Zilan (關紫蘭). Doing searches in English, I have found very little secondary material on this artist. Her paintings are quite beautiful Fauvist compositions. I was wondering if anyone had encountered this artist in a significant way and knew of some materials related to her they could send me (a list would be fine). If so, please let me know! I would be much obliged.  We have a collection of Nihon no Bijutsu art serial issues that our Japanese Studies suggested to the student, and I’ll be looking through, but in the meantime, I thought I would reach out to the broader art library community.

Many thanks,

Courtney Hunt

Art & Design Librarian Assistant Professor

Pronouns: she/her/hers

University Libraries Fine Arts Library

Wexner Center / Room 040L

1871 N. High Street