Wonderful response, Janine, as usual—I can hear our thought processes running in tandem throughout your comments, until the journals assessment project info suddenly thrust you ‘way out in front! Clemson would do well to do catch-up. We’ve weathered several major journals/subscription analysis projects but increasingly look to collaborate on these with our consortial partners: ASERL, Lyrasis, PASCAL, and the Carolina Consortium. That’s where cooperation yields real influence with vendors.

UC has had to make extra efforts in journals assessment, I understand, to buttress their challenge to Elsevier, no?

Nuance, and disciplinary eccentricities, totally. Plus, we are so staff-poor in subject areas that our head of acquisitions, who’s also chairing this committee I’m on, is loath to require deep, subject-specific collection assessments by our liaisons; those in the main library are spread thin and don’t enjoy the level of collection knowledge & control that I have cultivated here in the Gunnin—the manageable size of the Gunnin is my superpower, vs. the size and age of their legacy collections. All of this to say we’re keen on tools that would enable us to benchmark against our list of R1 comparison institutions, at least. Whether GreenGlass (for what, $20K a pop?) or WorldShare CE—OCLC holds most of the cards.

We use LibQual every few years to keep up with how faculty and students perceive and use the libraries, but find it most useful for evaluating our services/performance rather than collections. Without added incentives (and depending on the timing of the survey in any semester), it has proven unreasonable to expect a significant number of faculty/grad students to offer up either praise or constructive criticism re: collections. They love US, great, but the input re: resources doesn’t cohere into useful guidance on collections decisions.

And bibliographies? Increasingly a lost art. Suddenly I feel old—perhaps because, like you, I’ve poured energy into ‘core’ lists, those precious artifacts of the next ten minutes.

Using the serials lists from gold-standard subject indexes for journals subscription analysis is the best I have come up with, as well, for that format, but such a project is fraught for any active academic library. Time, personnel! Danged if we do and danged doubly if we don’t, if we mean to climb.

I absolutely agree on the artifact level—the Gunnin has its own rare books collection, some 770 items. No, determinations of quality cannot depend upon circulation, or even usage—an opinion that puts me at odds with library staff--often. Utility and ‘relevance’ TODAY are not the be-all and end-all.

At this point, our R1 benchmarking committees are engaged in reconnaissance of the field of endeavor. Strategies for engagement are next up. I very much appreciate your advice and perspective.

Kathy Edwards

Associate Librarian

Research, Instruction & Collection Development

Emery A. Gunnin Architecture Library

2-112 Lee Hall / 864.656.4289

CUsigIcon