Dear Collective Wisdom,

I can run all varieties of collection reports in our library management system, but this latest challenge is LARGE: how to assess the quality of our entire university library's holdings? What does quality mean when it comes to resources, and is that an upfront value or one tested by time and application? (I know-the answer is 'yes.')

First thoughts: some algorithm involving currency (but not necessarily--varies wildly by subject) and usage (the higher the quality, the more in demand-unless it's just the best we have on hand to offer, which then points to...), held up against interlibrary loan requests (i.e., what should we own but don't) and informed (this is the real bugger) by 'best of'/'core' standards per subject area, to the extent these exist (which involves much input by expert liaisons, and should also be demonstrated by usage, otherwise 'core' is just a vanity class).

Yet another facet: the subject authority of the resource producer...the point at which we really get into the weeds...

How would you go about assessing the quality of your library's holdings, or is that assessment a ghost ship?

[Yes, I'm on a dean's committee to determine what it means to be the library of an R1 Carnegie-rated university, and assess our libraries against that standard. Clemson is already R1 but we mean to do even better. And this is for ALL holdings, all disciplines.]

Kathy Edwards
Associate Librarian
Research, Instruction & Collection Development
Emery A. Gunnin Architecture Library
2-112 Lee Hall / 864.656.4289
[CUsigIcon]