Hello ARLIS,
Please see my intern's email below and respond to her if you are engaged with decolonization efforts at your library. If you, personally, are not involved, but others are, we'd love to be connected to them as well.
Thank you in advance!
Traci
Traci Timmons, M.A., M.L.I.S.
Senior Librarian
Equity Team Member
Dorothy Stimson Bullitt Library
Seattle Art Museum

Dear ARLIS,

I am writing to you with hopes of learning more about your experience and existing efforts to Decolonize libraries and museums, as we begin to evaluate the current situation in the Dorothy Stimson Bullitt Library at the Seattle Art Museum. In partnership with the Seattle Art Museum's Equity Team, this initiative, being led by myself, a second-year MLIS student from the University of Washington, under the supervision of Traci Timmons, Senior Librarian at SAM, reflects the institution's commitment to establishing a culture of racial equity for its guests, employees, and represented knowledge within its collections.

It is with these beliefs in mind that we are reaching out, looking to understand how others in our field are approaching decolonization work, and what methods or ideas have been tested. Are you removing subject headings that are reflective of colonizing ideology? Are you renaming subject headings? Are you maintaining the existing classification structure, but moving items on the shelves? Or are you developing entirely new systems of classification that are better reflective of diverse knowledge sets? We would appreciate the opportunity to dialogue about current efforts, concerns, or ideas that might inform our efforts at the SAM library.

For more information, or to share any input or concerns, please contact Victoria Contreraz at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> by January 31st. Thank you for your thoughts and time!

Best,

Victoria Contreraz

Dorothy Stimson Bullitt Library Intern

MLIS Candidate, 2019