---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Eric Kidwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 1:00 PM
Subject: Re: [ARLIS-L] Donation of materials intended "for private use only"
To: Sarah Bilotta <[log in to unmask]>

Good Afternoon:

Others may have actual experience with this type of donation (we've never had such), but it would seem to me that donating to a library would contradict any desire to limit use to "private use only."  What purpose did the donor have in mind in making the donation if the catalog wasn't going to be available to library users, and what exactly does the donor mean by "private use"?  To me "may not be copied or distributed without permission" does not disallow use within the library of the catalog.  To me it means that the catalog, in part or in whole, cannot be copied and those copies distributed, or the catalog lent on ILL.

I'll be curious to hear what others think.

Eric