Colleagues: writing to share some news and a few year-end highlights from Avery!

Projects and Publications
  • Our recently released Digital Serlio Project presents newly digitized full text versions of Avery's unparalleled holdings of the published editions of Sebastiano Serlio and the manuscript for his unpublished masterwork, On Domestic Architecture. The Project facilitates active use of the collection and brings current research on Serlio's works into direct conversation with the works themselves.
  • Throughout its distinguished history, Avery Library has extensively collected materials by and about Frank Lloyd Wright from his first published work, to his drawings and papers, to comprehensive coverage of the critical literature devoted to Wright and his legacy. We are pleased to announce the release of our new Frank Lloyd Wright at Avery website, which collocates guides and finding aids to Avery’s Wright holdings in our rare book, drawing and archives, and general collections.
Exhibits & Events:
  • Model Projections at Columbia’s Arthur Ross Architecture Gallery investigated the complex pathways between architecture and its representation through an examination of the practice of model making during the mid-twentieth century.

We also mounted a number of exhibits and speaker events at Avery in collaboration with faculty and students; among them:
A full listing available at: Avery on Exhibit and Avery Events.

Staff news
This year saw the retirements of some our treasured long-standing staff: Ted Goodman (Editor, Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals) and Paula Gabbard (Fine Arts Librarian) both leaving a legacy of important work at Avery and significant service and contributions to ARLIS/NA.

We also added several new positions and welcomed new staff members: Jennifer Gray (Curator of Drawings & Archives), Lena Newman (Rare Book Librarian), Katherine Prater (Digital Content Assistant), and Mathieu Pomerleau (Public Service Archivist).

Finally, I write to share that as of the end of the semester I left Avery to take on a new role as Director of Collections at the Corning Museum of Glass, where I  oversee the museum's collections, curatorial, conservation, exhibits, and publications units. While I will miss Avery, its dedicated and expert staff, and its incomparable collections, I am looking forward to new adventures at Corning!

All best,
Carole Ann Fabian
Director (2009-2018), Avery Architectural & Fine Arts Library, Columbia University
NEW CONTACT INFO:

Carole Ann Fabian
Director of Collections
Corning Museum of Glass