 Colleagues: writing to share some news and a few year-end highlights from
Avery!

*Projects and Publications*

   - Our recently released *Digital Serlio Project*
   <https://library.columbia.edu/locations/avery/digitalserlio.html>
   presents newly digitized full text versions of Avery's unparalleled
   holdings of the published editions of Sebastiano Serlio and the manuscript
   for his unpublished masterwork, On Domestic Architecture. The Project
   facilitates active use of the collection and brings current research on
   Serlio's works into direct conversation with the works themselves.

   - Throughout its distinguished history, Avery Library has extensively
   collected materials by and about Frank Lloyd Wright from his first
   published work, to his drawings and papers, to comprehensive coverage of
   the critical literature devoted to Wright and his legacy. We are pleased to
   announce the release of our new* Frank Lloyd Wright at Avery*
   <https://library.columbia.edu/locations/avery/franklloydwright.html>
   website, which collocates guides and finding aids to Avery’s Wright
   holdings in our rare book, drawing and archives, and general collections.

   - *New York Rising : An Illustrated History from the Durst Collection*
   <https://clio.columbia.edu/catalog/13540237> (The Monacelli Press, 2018)
   published in association with GSAPP, our book presents a broad historical
   survey from 17th-20th centuries illustrated with images drawn largely from
   the rich archival resources of the Durst Collection
   <https://dlc.library.columbia.edu/durst> at Avery Library.

*Exhibits & Events*:

   - The * Frank Lloyd Wright Between USA and Italy*
   <http://www.pinacoteca-agnelli.it/visit/12968/frank-lloyd-wright-between-usa-and-italy/#more>
   exhibit provided a rare opportunity for us to share selections from the
   Wright archives with audiences at the Pinocotecca Agnelli (Turin, Italy).

   - *Model Projections
   <https://blogs.cul.columbia.edu/avery/2018/10/24/model-projections/>* at
   Columbia’s Arthur Ross Architecture Gallery investigated the complex
   pathways between architecture and its representation through an examination
   of the practice of model making during the mid-twentieth century.

   - *An Evening with Avery: Karl Friedrich Schinkel
   <https://blogs.cul.columbia.edu/avery/2018/11/16/an-evening-with-avery-karl-friedrich-schinkel/>
   * featured Professors Kurt Forster (Professor Emeritus, Yale School of
   Architecture) and Barry Bergdoll (Meyer Schapiro Professor of Art History,
   Columbia University) in conversation about Schinkel’s Werke der höheren
   Baukunst <https://clio.columbia.edu/catalog/12869566>– an incomparable
   portfolio of work rescently acquired by Avery -- and Forster’s recently
   published *Schinkel: A Meander Through His Life and Work*
   <https://clio.columbia.edu/catalog/13553471> (Birkhauser, 2018).

We also mounted a number of exhibits and speaker events at Avery in
collaboration with faculty and students; among them:

   - *Transportation Alternatives
   <https://blogs.cul.columbia.edu/avery/2018/11/14/transportation-alternatives/>*
   - *Looking East: James Justinian Morier and Nineteenth-Century Persia
   <https://blogs.cul.columbia.edu/avery/2018/09/26/looking-east-james-justinian-morier-and-nineteenth-century-persia/>*
   -
*Art in Life: engravings by Robert Nanteuil *
   <http://projects.mcah.columbia.edu/ma/2017/>

A full listing available at:
* Avery on Exhibit
<https://library.columbia.edu/locations/avery/avery-on-exhibit.html> and
Avery Events <https://library.columbia.edu/locations/avery/events.html>. *

*Staff news*:
This year saw the retirements of some our treasured long-standing staff: *Ted
Goodman* (Editor, *Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals*
<https://library.columbia.edu/locations/avery/avery-index.html>) and *Paula
Gabbard* (Fine Arts Librarian) both leaving a legacy of important work at
Avery and significant service and contributions to ARLIS/NA.

We also added several new positions and welcomed new staff members: *Jennifer
Gray* (Curator of Drawings & Archives), *Lena Newman* (Rare Book
Librarian), * Katherine Prater* (Digital Content Assistant), and *Mathieu
Pomerleau* (Public Service Archivist).

Finally, I write to share that as of the end of the semester I left Avery
to take on a new role as Director of Collections at the Corning Museum of
Glass <https://www.cmog.org/>, where I  oversee the museum's collections,
curatorial, conservation, exhibits, and publications units. While I will
miss Avery, its dedicated and expert staff, and its incomparable
collections, I am looking forward to new adventures at Corning!

All best,
Carole Ann Fabian
*Director (2009-2018), Avery Architectural & Fine Arts Library, Columbia
University*
—
NEW CONTACT INFO:

Carole Ann Fabian