From: ARLIS/NA List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Morris, Elizabeth
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2018 12:46 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARLIS-L] French cigarette advertisements

Hi Karen,

There's a GREAT online exhibition from Yale's Medical Library, Selling Smoke, on that could be used for researching just this topic, and features numerous advertisements, posters, and visual materials: http://exhibits.library.yale.edu/exhibits/show/sellingsmoke. The last page of the online exhibition component also offers additional resources that may be useful as well.

Hope it provides some inspiration and great resources!

Best regards,

Beth

Beth Morris, Librarian
Reference Library and Archives
Yale Center for British Art

1080 Chapel Street

P.O. Box 208280
New Haven, CT 06520-8280

(203) 432-2848

exhibits.library.yale.edu

View this Exhibit. For well over a century, the tobacco industry has been selling smoke in America and abroad: marketing the very idea of smoking with the slick and calculated use of celebrity testimonials, promises of health benefits, memorable slogans, promotional sweepstakes, and more.