Thanks to all who responded to our inquiry around including images in dissertations and theses. The responses we received were very thoughtful and helpful.

It seems that many encourage the inclusion of images under Fair Use, especially if the images are in the public domain and the images are not too big or high resolution (one person encouraged images be half a page in size). Some also use ProQuest in addition to an institutional repository, but encourage the inclusion of images in both, while others also omit images from dissertations submitted to ProQuest. There was also the interesting point that we hadn't thought of around Section 108 of copyright law, which allows for preservation copies of items in libraries and archives.

Sources that others shared with us:
CAA Code of Best Practices for Fair Use in Art
VRA's statement on Fair Use of Images for Teaching, Research, and Study
- This libguide written by Shannon Kipphut-Smith, Scholarly Communications Liaison, in Fondren Library's Digital Scholarship Services department"

Also, one response noted that there are often issues around using images of works made in other countries where the copyright protections are more strict. Italy, for example, is notoriously tough. "They claim a rights level for all archaeological sites as cultural property, which makes a huge headache for our archaeologists... the real issue is if you ever want to set foot in that country and you're a known violator." UD Art History faculty studying Italian art have echoed this frustration as well.

As always, it seems the issues around copyright are quite meaty and our responses to it vary with context. We'd love to continue this conversation as things come up.

Thanks again to all who responded!

--
Cory Budden, MLIS
Communications Coordinator