I’m in the process of creating a “free library” (apologies to Ben Franklin and Philadelphia) where donated duplicate art books are set out for students to take.  Duke has a new art center/performance space which I have secure permission to create a library presence.  I’ve bought an old desk, will fill the top with books to take, and use the open drawers for outreach items for humanities librarians (bookmarks, cards, etc.)  I’m seeking others who have created library donation spaces, specifically with the intent to represent the art library in a place where it is not.

Grateful for any experiences or thoughts.

Best,

Lee

Lee Sorensen, A.M., A.M.  (he/his)

Librarian for Art, Visual Studies and Dance

Editor, Dictionary of Art Historians

Duke Libraries Copyright Consultant

919.660.5994

Revolting Librarian (blog) “The Education of Frankenstein: Why Can't College Dump the Fake News?”

Schedule Appointment with Lee   -  New books on art at Duke Libraries

Recent publication: "What’s special about special collections?" chapter 9 of Handbook of Art and Design Librarianship (2017)

“Follow the law that reveals, not the law revealed.”  Henry David Thoreau, quoted, L. D. Walls, Thoreau, 2017.