Hi Michelle,

The Textile Arts Council has sometimes offered conservation workshops (http://www.textileartscouncil.org/category/past-tac-lectures-events/), so she should probably consider joining that group if she can make it into San Francisco (I’ve attended some of their lectures and they’re excellent!).

The Next North American Textile Conservation Conference will be in Ottawa: http://natcconference.com/98-ottawa-2019.html

There is a Bay Area Art Conservation Guild: https://www.baacg.org/. Perhaps they have members with an interested in Textiles? There is also a Western Assoc. for Art Conservation: http://cool.conservation-us.org/waac/.

The American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works (AIC) has a Textiles group: https://www.conservation-us.org/specialty-topics/textiles#.W7OxYNdKiUk. They offer courses & tutorials.

The Textile Museum (in DC, now part of GWU) sometimes has workshops. See: https://museum.gwu.edu/repair-refresh-oct

If  you want graduate study, consider the U of Delaware: https://www.artcons.udel.edu/about-us/facilities/textiles.

And then there are also programs in the UK & elsewhere in Europe (e.g.: https://www.gla.ac.uk/postgraduate/taught/textileconservation/). Some of them offer diplomas or post-graduate training (e.g. https://www.vam.ac.uk/info/conservation#jobs-and-training-opportunities or https://abegg-stiftung.ch/en/training/).

CoOL maintains of list of conservation educational opportunities at: http://cool.conservation-us.org/bytopic/education/

ICROM also sometimes offers textile conservation courses: https://www.iccrom.org/courses/collasia-course-conserving-textiles-and-costumes-guatemala.

I’m sure other textile associations also have groups interested in conservation, but this is all I have time to look into for now.

Best wishes,

Janine J. Henri

Architecture and Design Librarian and Team Lead for Collections

UCLA Library

Arts Library

1400 Public Affairs Building

Box 959312