I have a student asking about representations of Spain as a woman during
the Golden Age. She has identified Titian's Religion Saved by Spain (or
Spain Rescues Religion) as an example.

I've been searching using personification, allegory, national
personification, anthropomorphism as search terms.  Not really coming up
with anything on point - either more examples or bibliography on the topic.

Does anyone have any thoughts?  I feel like I must be missing something
obvious.  Have been in WorldCat, ArtAbs, Historical Abstracts, BHA,
Google, Google Scholar, etc.

Thanks for any ideas.
Susan

--
Susan A. Davi
Head, Collection Management & Licensed Electronic Content