Please excuse cross-postings.

Hello all,

Attached is a CFP for a  Special Themed Issue of the Visual Resources Association Bulletin: “Cataloging Today: Enlarging the Sphere”

This special themed issue of the VRA Bulletin on the state of cataloging today seeks to explore our cataloging practices in light of the global semantic web. (Using "cataloging" as a verb, the act of attaching textual values to an object or digital asset, whether that involves encoding or not.) Please see the attachment for more explication, but here are some key questions/thoughts:

Should we assume that cataloging images and cultural heritage objects will remain a "manual" (or "supplemented manual") pursuit?

What inroads have been made to match and extract information from images?

How do administrators actually assess cataloging for value and for efficacy?

Have digital humanities projects and "big data" changed that value (and for whom)?

Will linked open data and the global semantic web finally conquer the silo, and
what are the implications for our profession?

Will the utility of linked "big data" on the web supersede the more traditional
concept of shared data?

Guest Editor: Susan Jane Williams

Expected Date of Publication: December 2018 or January 2019 (Vol. 45, issue 2)

For the first round of article submissions, please send a one-page abstract to
Susan Jane Williams at [log in to unmask] by October 15, 2018.

Thank You!