Hi all, I’m working with University of Delaware's Art Librarian, Susan
Davi, to try to learn more about options for including images in submitted
dissertations/theses for Art History (or History, Art, Art Conservation,
Material Culture, etc.).  At UD, we have a contract with ProQuest and all
dissertations/theses are submitted through ProQuest and are online only.
It seems that, between ProQuest policies and the information provided to
students by individual departments and our Office of Graduate Education,
the inclusion of images is highly discouraged (mostly due to copyright
fears) and our art history dissertations (and perhaps others) are submitted
to ProQuest with the images redacted.  UD has an institutional repository
which includes dissertations since 2014, but those dissertations are loaded
from a direct feed from ProQuest and also do not include images. But what’s
an Art History dissertation without images, right?

What we’re wondering is - do any of your institutions allow or encourage
art history students to keep images in their dissertations? If so, are
explicit permissions required for each image or do you cite fair use? Are
dissertations with images publicly accessible or institution-only access?
Do your students pay for image rights or receive funding to do so? Do
students ever seek image consultations with you or someone on staff? Are
there written policies in place around this issue at your institution? If
your institution is a ProQuest customer and you have an institutional
repository, do you have the same version in both places, or is your PQ
version different from your institutional repository version?  Are you
aware of complaints regarding images from your dissertations either in
ProQuest or your institutional repository?  If so, how are those complaints
resolved?

Also, has anyone in ARLIS or any group in ARLIS done a survey or collection
of information about the topics above?

Please respond to me and Susan Davi ([log in to unmask]) offline and we will
compile the answers, if that is of interest.

--
*Cory Budden, MLIS*
*Communications Coordinator*

Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/udarthistory/> | Twitter