Now available online at the Archives of American Art- Smithsonian Institution, August 2018

Digitized collections:

Chester Dale papers, circa 1883-2003, bulk 1920-1970

Chester Dale (1883-1962) was an art collector in New York, New York.

Jane Wade papers regarding Curt Valentin, 1903-1971

Curt Valentin (1902-1952) was a modern art dealer of New York, New York. Jane Wade was Valentin's assistant and continued to help run the Curt Valentin Gallery after Valentin's sudden death in 1952 until it closed in 1955.

Finding aids:

Jari "WERC" Alvarez and Geraldine "Gera" Lozano papers, 2005-2015

Jari "WERC" Alvarez (1980- ) is a graffiti artist who was born in Mexico and raised in Texas. Geraldine "Gera" Lozano (1981- ) is a public artist from New Jersey.

Eliot Fitch Bartlett papers, 1930-1981

Eliot Fitch Barteltt (1918-1992) was a volunteer curatorial assistant at the DeCordova Museum in Lincoln, Massachusetts during the 1970s.

Fred Becker papers, 1913-2004, bulk 1940-2000

Fred Becker (1913-2004) was a printmaker and art educator in Amherst, Massachusetts.

Henry Kirke Brown papers, 1836-1893

Henry Kirke Brown (1814-1886) was an American sculptor and portrait painter born in Leyden, Massachusetts and died in Newburgh, New York.

Worden Day papers, 1935-1986

Worden Day (1916-1986) was a sculptor, painter, printmaker, and curator in Montclair, New Jersey.

Gordon Kelly papers, 1942-1988

Gordon Kelly (1924-2018) was a portrait painter and art teacher who worked in New York, New York and Indiana.

Naul Ojeda papers, circa 1960-2004

Naul Ojeda (1939-2002) was a painter and printmaker in Washington, D.C. Ojeda, originally from Uruguay, fled his country of origin to escape political turmoil.

Don Reitz papers, circa 1935-2015

Don Reitz (1929-2014) was a ceramic artist in Clarkdale, Arizona.

Molly Saltman "Art and Artists" interviews, 1966-1967

The Molly Saltman "Art and Artists" radio program was broadcast on KPAL radio station in Palm Springs, California from November 2, 1966 to March 4, 1967 on Mondays and Wednesdays at 10:30AM.

Transcripts of oral history interviews with:

Fleur Bresler (2018)

Richard Haas (2009)

Barbara Hammer (2018)

Louise Nevelson (1964-1965) – updated

Otto Piene (1988)

Kiki Smith (2017)

The Archives of American Art is the world’s pre-eminent and most widely used research center dedicated to collecting, preserving, and providing access to primary sources that document the history of the visual arts in America. Founded on the belief that the public needs free and open access to the most valuable research materials, our collections are available to all who wish to consult original papers at our research centers or use our reference services remotely every year, and to millions who visit us online to consult digitized collections.

For more information and content, please follow our blog and subscribe to our newsletter.

Archives of American Art Blog

The Primary Source

*Subscription information found at bottom of page.

Caroline Donadio

Management Support Assistant

Archives of American Art

300 Park Avenue South