Hi Everyone,

It’s been a few months since I’ve last posted to the ARLIS-L. I am writing this message to share information that is essentially personal but will result in some changes in my professional life as a librarian, and a member of ARLIS/NA.

You probably don’t recognize my (new) name or email address. I’m the Architecture Librarian at the University of Waterloo’s School of Architecture formally known as Effie Patelos. I’ve been a member of ARLIS/NA since 2010 when I was student at the University of Toronto’s Faculty of Information. Currently I’m the Chair of the Ontario Chapter of ARLIS/NA.

I’m transgender. I have been my whole life, but until only recently (May 2018) have I come out at work. I identify as trans non-binary (on the trans-masculine side). Friends, family, and colleagues call me Evan, or Ev for short, and at some point in the near future I will be changing my legal name to Evan Schilling. I use the gender-neutral pronouns they, them, and their.

Thank you for taking the time to read all of this and thank you even more for your support going forward. This is truly an exciting and positive change in my life both professionally and personally.

Please be open to self-learning, and becoming an ally for all trans people, not just me.

Sincerely,

Evan Schilling, MI, B.Arch, B.E.S

Architecture Librarian

(they/them/their)

Musagetes Architecture Library
University of Waterloo School of Architecture

7 Melville Street South

Cambridge, ON N1S 2H4
519-888-4567 ext. 27620

[log in to unmask]" id="LPNoLP" style="color:blue; text-decoration:underline">[log in to unmask]

uwaterloo.ca/library/musagetes

Chair, ARLIS/NA Ontario, ontario.arlisna.org/

I respectfully acknowledge that I live and work on the traditional territory of ýthe Neutral, Anishnaabeg, and Haudenosaunee peoples. The University of Waterloo is situated on the Haldimand Tract, the land promised to the Six Nations that includes six miles on each side of the Grand River.