Hello,

The ARLIS/NA Public Policy Committee is in the process of building out an interactive panel on privacy in art libraries and looking to add a few more panelists who are planning to attend next year's conference in Salt Lake City.

Following is our starting prompt for the panel:

Protecting user privacy and confidentiality has long been an integral part of the intellectual mission of libraries, but how are these ethics of our profession situated in the era where many of our patrons willingly share their personal data with online social platforms such as Facebook? How can librarians demonstrate value without relying on assessment tools that invade patron privacy? What privacy issues might be unique to art librarianship, and what could we learn from artists who themselves grapple with questions of privacy in the digital age?

As this is an interactive panel, it will feature conversations and activities that panel participants will conceive collaboratively, so at this point we're just looking to make contact with ARLIS/NA members who are thinking/working in these areas in lieu of requesting a formal presentation/paper proposal.

So have you recently undertaken an overhaul of your library's privacy or data collection policies? Have you worked on a project with your patrons or an artist-in-residence that relate to surveillance issues in the digital age? Have you been thinking about how to better protect the vulnerable communities—such as LGBTQIA+ individuals or undocumented immigrants—that your library serves? Or are you simply super passionate about privacy and information security and excited to share strategies? If so, we would love to hear from you! You can reply to me off-list at [log in to unmask].

Warm regards,
Karly

--
Karly Wildenhaus