Dear Collective Wisdom,

I am helping a researcher who is trying to find information on the demographics of art studios in Europe during the 16th, 17th, and 18th centuries. She is researching whether arts education was primarily for white men/boys and whether people of color have been historically excluded from arts education (studio systems, academies, etc.).  We are able to find sources for the exclusion of (most) women, but have not found anything with regards to exclusion (or inclusion) with regards to race or ethnicity.

I should mention we are able to find discussions of the evolving concept of race during the time period in question, but not in relation to arts education/studio or academy systems.  It is also a challenge to find discussions of race with regards to artists themselves and not as the subject matter for works of art.

Any suggestions are most welcome.

Many thanks!

Shari

Shari A. Salisbury

Scholarly Resources Librarian II

Liaison for Art & Art History, History, & Modern Languages

UTSA Libraries

The University of Texas at San Antonio