Thank you to Virginia, Malia, Jennifer, Kathy, Claudia, and Janelle, who so generously responded to my query.  I hope this provided a good excuse to spend some time with this amazing object, which will continue to be well-used and well-loved here in the studio with a bit more safeguarding.

  • Our former paper conservator was a big proponent of silicone release paper. When obtained from an archival supplier it should be a safe substitute.
  • We put in sheets of buffer paper.
  • Glassine, lightweight, cut to size.
  • Yes,  buffered interleaving paper available from Conservation Resources or Hollinger (which has merged with Metal Edge) is wonderful interleaving material.  The buffered kind neutralizes any acidification.  It is good to change the paper every once in a while, especially when first using it on papers that have been used and probably have quite a bit of hand oil from use.
  • I took a look at our copy. I do not know the particulars of its conservation history but ours has been rehoused. It has a new cloth bound clamshell case and the interior sections are individually housed in folios of heavier text-weight archival paper (maybe 70#). Additional single sheets of lighter text-weight archival paper (maybe 20#) have been used as interleaving material inside some of the folios.
  • Have you ever thought of having the prints digitized (like slides) for classroom use only? Copyright law may apply, but the artist's estate or foundation may give permission for a limited educational use.  Or may offer such a use for a one-time nominal fee.  As for replacement slip sheets, I would use buffered (smooth) acid-free tissue paper.
Thanks again,
Amy
Amy McKenna
Visual Resources Curator
Williams College Art Department
(413) 597-4786
Visual Resources Center

Public Relations and Communications Officer
Visual Resources Association