I have permission from Angela Chiu (the author of the post which was submitted to the ACSAA list) to forward this to our list. I could not help noticing that the gift was accompanied by a collection of books, and thought that this might interest librarians who interact with development officers.

Cheers,

Janine J. Henri

Architecture and Design Librarian and Team Lead for Collections

UCLA Library

Arts Library

1400 Public Affairs Building

Box 959312

Los Angeles, CA 90095-1392

Tel: 310-206-4587

Fax: 310-825-1303

orcid.org/0000-0001-6264-4133

From: Angela Chiu
(snip)

Dear colleagues,

SOAS has accepted the donation of a 13th-century Thai sculpture by a pair of US alumni who had no documentary evidence of the sculptureā€™s history of legal ownership or transfer (provenance). This receipt of a potentially looted and/or trafficked antiquity means SOAS now stands in possible violation of UK, Thai and US law and in contravention of national and international ethical standards for handling objects of cultural property. Moreover, the university is now advertising this donation to other alumni to encourage more such gifts. Thus, SOAS is now offering an antiquities laundering service in exchange for tax deductions.

Can SOAS, on the one hand, claim to be a leading institution for the study of Asia, Africa, and the Near and Middle East, while with the other hand, it launders potentially stolen antiquities from these same areas?

For details, please see my blogpost:

Thanks,

Angela

Now in paperbackThe Buddha in Lanna: Art, Lineage, Power, and Place in Northern Thailand (Univ of Hawai'i Press, 2017) http://www.uhpress.hawaii.edu/p-9745-9780824858742.aspx