Hello ARLIS,

Thank you for your replies to my recent inquiry about challenges to library
exhibits and controversial exhibitions.

For anyone else interested, two recent articles were brought to my
attention that I also recommend to the list:

*Stephanie Beene and Cindy Pierard, “RESIST: a Controversial Display and
Reflections on the Academic Library’s Role in Promoting Discourse and
Engagement,” Urban Library Journal 24, no. 1 (2018),
https://academicworks.cuny.edu/ulj/vol24/iss1/6
<https://academicworks.cuny.edu/ulj/vol24/iss1/6>.*

Frames best practices in libraries and museums and by extension special
collections in today's political climate.

*Mary Kandiuk, "Avoiding Controversy: Academic Freedom and the Library
Exhibit," Art Documentation 36, no. 1 (Spring 2017).*

Questions the concept of library neutrality and includes an appendix of
library exhibit policies.

In addition Seattle Pacific University shared their library policy:

If an item in the library (whether a part of the permanent collection or
other item on temporary display) is challenged, library staff will pursue
the following procedure:

·        Staff will ask the challenger to complete a Request for Review
form, including name and contact information, the item in question and why
it is being challenged.

·        The form will be referred to a committee consisting of the
University Librarian, Head of Access Services and appropriate liaison
librarian. The request will be evaluated in relation to the Collection
Development Policy and SPU’s commitment to academic and intellectual
freedom (see section 2.4 “Intellectual Freedom” in Collection Development
Policy).

·        If appropriate or necessary, the item in question will be pulled
from public display while the review is in process (i.e. – to protect the
item, or to deescalate a conflict)

·        The committee will inform the patron of its decision within a
reasonable period of time.
On our end, we have opted to post this statement with exhibits that might
spark debate:

Ringling College of Art and Design respects and supports the freedom of
expression of exhibits and exhibitors and therefore does not restrict the
content of student, faculty, alumni or other professional work exhibited at
the Ringling College of Art and Design campus.

One of the core values of Ringling College is upholding academic freedom
and a safe environment for members of the campus community to responsibly
question, examine, and explore all intellectual ground.

Thank you,
Janelle

*Janelle Rebel*

*Digital Curation and Special Collections Librarian*

Brizdle-Schoenberg Special Collections Center
<http://ringling.libguides.com/specialcollections>

Ringling College of Art and Design

2700 N Tamiami Trail

Sarasota, FL 34234-5895