Dear Collective Wisdom,

We are at a crossroads with our video collection. The bulk of our collection consists of recordings of Seattle Art Museum programs: artist and curator lectures, performances, interviews, panel discussions, and symposia. The majority of the collection is available on in-house recorded DVDs. This has not been a good long-term solution for obvious reasons.

A little more than a year ago, our A/V Department stopped giving us DVDs of the programs and started posting the recordings on YouTube as unlisted links. If patrons wanted to watch the videos we’d either have to A: type the link in for them at one of the library terminals or B: email them the unlisted link (which was rarely done, and we felt very uncomfortable doing it). We need to find a solution that will allow people to come to the library and view these videos without us needing to type something in. Additionally, we’d ideally like the links to not be shareable.

Have any of you had experience providing access to videos this way? If so, I would love to hear about what you did, pros, cons, advice, etc. Oh, and by the way, we (of course) have no budget for this, so free or open source software ideas are welcome.

Thank you in advance
Traci

Traci Timmons, M.A., M.L.I.S.

Librarian, Dorothy Stimson Bullitt Library

Seattle Art Museum

1300 First Avenue

Seattle, WA 98101

Phone: 206-654-3220

Email: [log in to unmask]

Library website: http://www.seattleartmuseum.org/programs-and-learning/libraries-and-resources

I work off-site Mondays and am in the office Tuesdays through Fridays.

FIGURING HISTORY / Seattle Art Museum / Feb 15 – May 13 2018
Get tickets at
visitsam.org/tickets