Greetings ARLIS/NA friends far and wide...

As of June 1, 2018, I begin a new role as Stanford Libraries' first Photography Curator. This means I will leave the Bowes Art & Architecture Library to join the Special Collections unit in the main library. We're very excited about the curatorial and acquisition possibilities before us, and grateful for the opportunity to engage even more closely with the international photographic community. With the increasing importance of photography collections to teaching and research at Stanford we realized the value in having dedicated staff to leverage the power of the Libraries' existing photography collections and to also target and acquire new photography collections and archives.

Serving in the Art & Architecture Library at Stanford (first at Cummings Art Building and now in the new and wonderful McMurtry Art & Art History Building) has been a privilege and honor that I do not take for granted. With massive thanks to the former and current staff of this unit, I am so proud of all that we've accomplished over my eighteen plus years at Stanford. I am especially indebted to Alex Ross, the former Head of the Art & Architecture Library, who took me in some years ago. His patience with me (like everything associated with Alex) was exceptional.

The Bowes Art & Architecture Library will continue its forward progress under the splendid direction of Vanessa Kam, Head Librarian. I am grateful for the opportunity to work with Vanessa these past two years. Although I will tremendously miss my Bowes Library colleagues and my daily and close interactions with the incredible faculty and students of the Department of Art & Art History, I depart Bowes Library with the knowledge that Vanessa and the current team (Amber Ruiz, Andrea Hattendorf, Katie Keller, Kay Ming Cadena, Lorna Corbetta, and Roy Viado) will continue its good work.

https://library.stanford.edu/blogs/special-collections-unbound/2018/04/special-collections-photography-curator-appointed

With regards to all -- I hope to see you at future ARLIS/NA conferences.

Peter Blank

====================

Peter P. Blank

(Through May 31, 2018)

Senior Librarian

Ute & Bill Bowes Art & Architecture Library

355 Roth Way
Stanford University

Stanford, CA 94305 – 2018

artlibrary.stanford.edu