Hi Amy,

Apologies in advance for being so vague, but I know I've heard of a couple of projects like this through the Visual Resources Association! I think Denise Massa at Notre Dame worked on a project like this but I can't find it. I think the ideal workflow is to get MFA students to sign a release at the beginning, but without that, then I think you include a copyright statement. I also think that where identifiable, individual works would have their own metadata, so unique records for unique items. At Notre Dame they might have had their own system that might be publicly accessible, but when I was at Boston College we talked about a project that would exist inside of our institutional repository or a visual resources platform. If they're in a password protected system or behind a proxy server than you can take some more liberties with copyright statements, but in any case without the artists' permission, I'd say err on the more protective side!

If I can find a specific project or documentation of one, I will pass it on!

I hope you got some better answers than mine! :-)

Annie Sollinger
UMass Amherst