Von: George Deutsch [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Gesendet: Freitag, 6. April 2018 13:42
An: Lorimer, Katherine <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Betreff: German technical library

Dear MS. Lorimer:

The Erie County Historical Society has in its collection a number of volumes that had belonged to the Hammermill corporate library in Erie. After the plant closed down, they were transferred to Penn State Behrend's library. Eventually they came into our possession. Now, we have revaluated our policies and judged that they do not fit our historical holdings policy.
The collection consists of papermaking and paper/chemistry texts, all in German, including volumes brought to the US by Otto Behrend, the founder of Hammermill Paper (taken over in the 80s by International Paper) when he emigrated from Germany in the 19th century. They continue right up to 1940 at the beginning of WWII. Drawing on my limited German, they appear to be cutting edge papermaking technology of the times.

I am writing to you, to ask if the Gothe Institut might be interested in obtaining this historical trove.

Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Sincerely,
George Deutsch

George E. Deutsch
Executive Director