As an open-ended publication series, Exhibition Takeaways follows and extends the exhibitions of the Brizdle-Schoenberg Special Collections Center at the Ringling College of Art + Design. The series serves as a guide to the collections, a starting point for a topic, an archive of an event, a catalog of after thoughts, and an opportunity for design. This counter-punctual project will, with any luck, interest our readers and accumulate a body of ideas related to the studies and histories of art, design, communication, media, leisure, and publishing.

Riso-printed versions are given away free at the Center (while supplies last!), and digital versions are available to download through the Center’s website and the Alfred R. Goldstein Library catalog. The Exhibition Takeaways are designed in-house. The ink color rotates between issues and is chosen on press. The first three titles, published in 2018, are now available:

*More* is More: Xerographic Exchange and the I.S.C.A. Quarterly (B-SSCC #01)

Encoded & Encrypted (B-SSCC #02)

Every miniature book in the collection, measuring no more than three inches, arranged in various states of attention and repose (B-SSCC #03)

The exhibition program to which these refer is reliant on the free play of research, design, and interpretation. We know that exhibition names change when typesetting texts. And the placement of book objects can trigger a new through line. Welcoming this kind of correspondence becomes part of the game. Things look and sound different when they become material and practiced.

So too, is the spirit behind the Exhibition Takeaways. We hope they offer readers an exploratory spark. To check out the series, please stop by or visit us online, now (and again).

Janelle Rebel

Digital Curation and Special Collections Librarian

Brizdle-Schoenberg Special Collections Center

Ringling College of Art and Design

2700 N Tamiami Trail

Sarasota, FL 34234-5895

(941) 359-7583