Dear All,

This morning Dr. McInnis, Executive Vice President and Provost, made public
her decision regarding the Fine Arts Library at UT Austin. She accepted all
of the recommendations from Dr. Haricombe, Vice Provost and Director of
Libraries, and Dean Dempster.

See below for the Provost's decisions. Find the full memo here:

https://www.lib.utexas.edu/about/news/future-fine-arts-library

My colleagues and I are happy to receive news that our library will not
only remain open but also be refurbished.

Best,

Becca Pad

Provost’s response to recommendations:

   1. I accept your recommendation to keep the Fine Arts Library collection
   on the fifth floor of the Doty Fine Arts Building (DFA).
   2. As demonstrated by my recent approval of additional funding to reduce
   retrieval times for volumes stored off-site, I accept your recommendation
   to improve average retrieval times for any materials stored in other
   facilities.
   3. I accept your recommendation to refurbish and renovate the fifth
   floor of DFA. I request that a plan be developed to help me understand the
   goals of such a renovation and the financial resources required. The plan
   should seek to address many of the concerns raised by the task force,
   including improving WiFi access, providing additional electrical outlets,
   modernizing the physical environment, and providing for both collaborative
   and private work spaces. In addition, I support your suggestion to increase
   shelving capacity.
   4. I accept your recommendation to form a standing advisory council
   comprised of CoFA faculty, students, COFA academic support staff. The
   council should be co-chaired by designees of the dean of COFA and the vice
   provost and director of libraries. I believe this is a vital step moving
   forward to ensure that conversations about the FAL and its collections
   occur in a collaborative, productive and continuous manner.
   5. In addition to your recommendations, the conversations about FAL have
   generated many questions about other constituent libraries at UT Austin. In
   order to ensure that we include faculty, students, and staff in these
   conversations about the future of libraries, I plan to form a
   university-wide task force. The future of academic libraries is a
   conversation taking place at leading research universities – public and
   private – across the nation. Academic libraries are an absolutely critical
   resource for the research and teaching missions of UT Austin. As we develop
   a strategic vision for UT Libraries, we need to be thoughtful about how we
   engage the campus community and solicit broad and inclusive input. My goal
   is to formally announce the charge and the membership of this task force in
   time to begin work in the fall 2018 semester.