Hello to all interested in materials collections!

If you are attending the 2018 ARLIS/NA Annual Conference, the
Materials SIG will meet Monday, February 26, 5pm-6pm, in the Hilton’s Murray Hill West.

Agenda items:

·         Materials Collections Survey

o   Discussion of preliminary results
We’ve had 12 responses since it opened on January 19, please consider contributing information about your collection or undertakings of forming a materials collection. Survey open through mid-March.

o   Next Steps

·         Open Discussion / Material Stories
Do you have a short story to share about a materials collection challenge – acquisition, housing, storage, labeling, etc. -- that resulted in triumph or tragedy, or perhaps haven’t yet figured out?  Visiting other materials collections are often eye-opening or inspirational.  Short of traveling the country and world to see other collections, let’s bring our stories to the meeting.

How it will work:

The point is for minimal prep that yields dialogue and a sense of community.  For example, I will share how an aerogel tile was destroyed in a lecture hall passing around, but how a protective housing solution was found for its replacement.

Have a story to share?  Two ways to participate:

o   Email Johanna with your interest.  We can work out visuals if needed.

o   Bring your story to the meeting – no reservations needed.  You might be inspired by others to share something.

·         Announcements/Suggestions from the membership

Best,
Johanna

ARLIS Materials SIG Co-moderators

Teri Dowling
Associate Director of Libraries, California College of the Arts, [log in to unmask]

Johanna Kasubowski
Materials and Media Collections Librarian, Frances Loeb Library, Harvard University Graduate School of Design, [log in to unmask]