Dear Colleagues,

One of our graduate students here at Princeton has sent this out and it may be of interest. She says that “the story of Byzantine art at the Louvre is a real tragedy that surprisingly has gotten very little attention in the press. I really hope this article at least gets people talking about how to reverse the situation.” She had attached images of visitors crowding in to see Chretiens d’Orient at the Institut du Monde Arabe to illustrate that interest in all things Byzantine is alive and well.

I am delighted to share with you this opinion piece that I have written on the state of Byzantine art in Paris for Apollo. I hope that this article might bring renewed attention to the situation at the Louvre. It is my conviction that it is more important than ever to fight for Byzantine art given the crisis in the humanities.

https://www.apollo-magazine.com/why-the-louvre-needs-a-byzantine-art-section/

-Emily L. Spratt

Rebecca K. Friedman
Acting Head
Marquand Library of Art & Archaeology
McCormick Hall
Princeton University, Princeton, NJ  08544
(609) 258-3163; main no. (609) 258-3783
http://library.princeton.edu/libraries/marquand