Session I: Sarah Bryant                  June 4-8, 2018

Complicating the Surface: Spontaneity and Precision

Participants in this course will experiment with generating complex

imagery through the intersection of printing processes. We will begin

by carving linoleum blocks and creating relief surfaces with other

materials. We will ink them up and pull proofs, then create partnered

pressure plates that deliberately respond to those relief surfaces. The

combination of the painterly, spontaneous imagery that results from

pressure printing and the binary inked surface of a relief block can be

striking and powerful. Incorporating intersecting processes into image

making can unlock potential for giving voice to content and broaden

the vocabulary of print. After several days of printing, we will further

complicate our results by cutting down our prints and creating artist

books that play with the juxtaposition and sequencing of our imagery.

Sarah Bryant produces letterpress-printed artist books under the imprint

Big Jump Press, which she founded in 2006. Her work can be found in dozens

of libraries and private collections in the United States and abroad, including

The Library of Congress, The New York Public Library, The Darling

Bio-medical Library at UCLA, and The Yale Arts Library. Bryant currently

teaches letterpress printing and bookbinding courses at the University of

Alabama the MFA in the Book Arts Program.  www.bigjumppress.com

Find out more and apply now at http://millsbookartsummer.org/

Questions about the Mills College Summer Institute for Book and Print Technologies or the application process, can be directed to [log in to unmask]

Adrienne Suzio

The Mills College Summer Institute for Book & Print Technologies

http://millsbookartsummer.org/

https://www.facebook.com/BookArtSummer/

@millscollegebookart