Dear ARLIS colleagues,

This message is to ask whether any of you are using BSCAN ILL software with a Bookeye scanner and if so how you are faring with it.

Our main problem with it is that you can only scan 60-90 pages at a time (depending on whether B&W or color) before the scanner freezes and when it does all that work is lost.  If a book chapter or long article needed for a course packet is more pages than that we have to do it in two files and stitch them together, which is a time-consuming workflow that I feel shouldn’t be necessary for a workhorse scanner designed for institutional ILL and document delivery.

When we spoke to the tech support staff a few weeks ago they told us that an upcoming upgrade would fix that problem, turning a 3-speed car into a 5-speed (or some such vehicular metaphor).  After the upgrade happened late last week, however, we were having the same problem and they now say that it’s just a feature of the software.

Can anyone cite experiences that support or refute this?  Is it unreasonable to expect a very expensive scanner to be able to do more than 90 B&W pages in one file?

In all other ways it’s a very good scanner, but if we’d known about this limitation we might have looked further.

Thanks all –

Karen