ACRL/Arts Midwinter 2018 Virtual Discussion Forum

Please join the ACRL/Arts Publications and Research Committee for a
virtual discussion on Arts-Based Research in the Library on Tuesday,
January 30, 2018
1:00pm – 2:00pm Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Speakers will share how they are highlighting their arts collections
and resources through a variety of activities including, research
grants, arts contests, exhibits, concerts, and public lectures.

Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://psu.zoom.us/j/110903682
Or iPhone one-tap (US Toll):  +14086380968,110903682#  or
+16468769923,110903682#

Or Telephone:

    Dial:

    +1 408 638 0968 (US Toll)

    +1 646 876 9923 (US Toll)

    +1 669 900 6833 (US Toll)

    Meeting ID: 110 903 682

    International numbers available:
https://psu.zoom.us/zoomconference?m=2mkssxD1iNDpxGUhsSdRW7jJIO0fKm6q

More details on our engaging speakers and topics below:

Arts-Based Outreach in the Library

OUTREACH<–>INREACH: Arts-Based Connections Within and Beyond the Library
Presenter: Sha Towers, Director of Research & Engagement and Associate
Director for the Central Libraries at the Baylor University Libraries

While the Baylor Libraries are involved in a variety of arts-based
outreach, such as concerts, events, public lectures, classes,
exhibitions, fellowships, and special collections engagement
opportunities, much of the success of these programs inside the
libraries are the direct result of activity happening beyond the
library walls. This presentation will touch on the wide variety of
outreach happening inside the library as well as the types of
engagement and activities beyond the library that sets the stage for
success inside the library.

Connections:  Book Arts, Students, and the Community
Presenter: Claudia Covert, Special Collections Librarian, Rhode Island
School of Design

When I began to work in Special Collections in 2014 and I was
immediately struck with how many classes and students come to see our
Artists’ Book Collection.  Part of our Artists’ Book Collection was
RISD student made books.  The collection varied wildly and lacked a
clear way to collect for the future.  At the same time we were looking
to diversify the collection and represent our student body more fully.
  Outreach seemed to provide answers on how to build on the
relationships with our students and faculty.  The Annual Student
Artists’ Book Contest and Juried Exhibition successfully debuted in
Spring 2015.   With this achievement we began to receive feedback that
our RISD event could be shared with the Providence area.  In Spring
2017, we launched RISD’s first book arts fair, unbound.  For the
discussion forum I will be discussing our ups and downs and how we are
moving forward with these outreach efforts.

Incubator Awards: Fostering Creative Work in Archives and Special Collections

Speakers: Alice Whiteside, Head, Joseph C. Sloane Art Library,
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and Elizabeth Ott, Interim
Curator of Rare Books at the University of North Carolina at Chapel
Hill.

In Fall 2017, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Libraries launched the Incubator Awards: Research Grants for Creative
Artists to foster engagement with UNC’s rich cultural and historical
resources and encourage students to pursue new directions, topics, or
methods in their work and creative process.

Modeled after creative research fellowship programs at Amherst College
and the Providence Public Library, the Incubator Awards grew out of a
collaboration between the Interim Curator of Rare Books and the Art
Librarian at UNC-Chapel Hill. The program aims to strengthen the
libraries’ relationships with creative disciplines by bringing new
audiences into archives and special collections, building teaching
librarians’ experience working with student researchers in the arts,
and fostering dialogue about the many meanings of research within
creative practice. In the first year of the Incubator Awards program,
we have awarded six research grants. Recipients include graduate and
undergraduate students from a variety of creative disciplines
conducting research in several collections, ranging from University
Archives to the Art Library’s Artists’ Books Collection. The students
will present their projects and research experience in a public
showcase in April.

This presentation will discuss the development and implementation of
the Awards, lessons learned so far, and our vision for how the program
might grow and intersect with other library goals and initiatives.

Karen Beavers (on behalf of the Publications and Research Committee)

Karen Beavers

Arts Research and Instruction Librarian

University of La Verne