Dear Angela,

I think Lee's response is great! I would also be prepared to impart some
ethical questions about what images are being sourced/appropriated. Alex
Watkins of UC Boulder has presented at conferences about this, and his
article is here:
https://scholar.colorado.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1083&context=libr_facpapers

Your question made me think about a situation in 2015, where an MFA student
appropriated another photographer's work in his thesis show; he was legally
in the clear, but the original artists were very unhappy. (The original
photo, of a trans woman, was made by 2 queer artists, and then was
appropriated by a white male, pointing to deeper social issues of privilege
and representation...) See:
https://i-d.vice.com/en_uk/article/j5mamb/queer-artists-photography-appropriated-by-yale-graduate

Take care,

Annie Sollinger