“Rare Book School is one of the few places in the world where you can study hard for a week and come out with more spring in your step, a renewed commitment to your craft, and new friends.” –2017 student

Expand your understanding of book history during a Rare Book School course this spring or summer. Our five-day, intensive courses on the history of manuscript, print, and digital materials will be offered at the University of Virginia, The Thomas J. Watson Library at The Metropolitan Museum of Art, Amherst College, Yale University, the University of Pennsylvania, and Indiana University, Bloomington.

Among our thirty-five courses, we are pleased to offer several that are pertinent to art historians. The following is a sample of the breadth of the RBS offerings:

– I-35: The Identification of Photographic Print Processes, taught by Alice Carver-Kubik (of the Image Permanence Institute)
– I-20: Book Illustration Processes to 1900, taught by Terry Belanger (founding Director of Rare Book School)
– I-45: The Photographic Book since 1844, taught by Richard Ovenden (of Oxford University)

To be considered in the first round of admissions decisions, course applications should be submitted no later than 19 February. Applications received after that date will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Visit our website at www.rarebookschool.org for course details, instructions for applying, and evaluations by past students. Contact us at [log in to unmask] with questions.

Please share this information with colleagues, students, and friends.

We hope to see you at Rare Book School soon!

With kindest regards,
The RBS Programs Team