Hi everybody,
Friday is my last day at the Free Library of Philadelphia, after a 35 year career in the Art Department, Print & Picture Collection and Rare Book Department. I want to thank ARLIS, and particularly the Philadelphia-area art librarians for being so welcoming and supportive all these years. I wasn’t able to participate much on the National level, because of lack of institutional support, but I was quite involved in the Delaware Valley Chapter and was Chair twice. I recently joined the Mid-Atlantic Chapter and appreciate the warm welcome I received.  I’ll probably step away from ARLIS now, because I have other things I want to do. I do, however, treasure the friendships I’ve made through ARLIS and greatly appreciate this great network.

My major plan for retirement is to see where I am as an artist and start focusing on making art again. Also some travel. And, most importantly, coming back alive after several years of too much stress.
If you want to keep in touch, use my gmail account below my signature (after Friday).

So long, farewell,
Auf Weidersehen, goodnight ….

Karen

Karen Lightner
Head, Art & Literature Departments
Free Library of Philadelphia
1901 Vine St., Philadelphia, PA 19103
686-5403 (Art/Lit)

I’m retiring on Friday, January 19, 2018. This e-mail account will become inactive just after. If we communicate about non-library business, please put my home email in your address book -  [log in to unmask]

Don’t ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that.  Because what the world needs is people who have come alive. —Howard Thurman