Dear Collective Wisdom,

Here is a lighthearted, mid-holiday question. I’m looking for quotes by well-known 20th and 21st century artists about coffee or tea. Photos of artists drinking coffee or tea would also help (with strong credit lines for attribution).

I’m finding the search more difficult than expected. Most published artist writings to which I have quick access address the artist’s work and artistic philosophy, not their drinking habits. I had high hopes for Mason Currey’s Daily rituals : how artists work, but most entries are on writers, and while coffee is mentioned liberally throughout it’s usually as a bald statement of fact that such and such person took coffee with his or her breakfast.

Thanks in advance for any help!

--

Jacqueline L. Protka

Branch Librarian, Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden

https://collab.si.edu/sites/OUSS-SIL/Libraries/branding/Lockups/EmailSignature_option1_Tag_RGB.png