Hello ARLIS-L,

Before you head out of the office for the holidays, a plug for the Museum Division activities at the upcoming conference--we hope you’ll join us for our meeting at the 2018 ARLIS/NA Conference in New York!

            Museum Division meeting

Wednesday, February 28 from 4:30pm - 5:30pm

Hilton Midtown Hotel, Murray Hill East room

We are seeking agenda items for this meeting! Are there issues or topics you wish to discuss with the group? Or suggestions for speakers on individual projects? Feel free to reach out to me directly.

If it helps spur some inspiration, a reminder of what we are (from the ARLIS/NA Policy Manual):

The purpose of the Museum Library Division is to provide a forum for art museum librarians who are members of ARLIS/NA. This forum includes a program and business meeting as part of the annual ARLIS/NA conference, and submitting articles and updates to Society publications. Issues of art librarianship having special relevance for art museum librarians are singled out for the attention of the group, e.g., control of auction catalogues, museum archives, and documentation of individual objects. It is the responsibility of the group to study such issues and formulate recommended procedures for dealing with them. The position of the library within the administrative structure of the museum is of concern to the Division, as are standards regarding staffing, collection development, budget, book conservation, processing, etc. Interaction with, and participation in, related organizations such as the American Alliance of Museums and the Special Libraries Association are encouraged.

And don’t miss some of the sessions planned by some of our Museum Division colleagues:

Different by Design-How Art Librarians are Undertaking User Experience

Everything Old is New: Metadata Migration and Enrichment

NDSR Art: Developing Cross-Institutional Strategies for Sustained Access to GLAM Assets

Solo Problem Solvers: Finding a Voice and Building Resources as a Solo Professional

Photography and Books across Boundaries in Art Libraries, Archives, and Museum Collections

The Outcome of the ARTFRAME Project, a Domain-Specific BIBFRAME Exploration

Copyright Assessment in the Trenches: Workflow, Tools, Metadata, and more

Thinking Outside the Bounds of the Typical Library: A Spotlight on Three New York City-based Libraries and Archives

#artlibraries: Taking the Pulse of Social Media in Art Library Environments

PHAROS: The Photo Archive Re-Imagined for Digital Art History President's Choice

A Value Proposition: Understanding Distinctive, Special, and Archival Collections

The Indispensable Art Museum Library: Challenges and Solutions for Change

Again, please send any suggestions and ideas to me.

Thank you & happy holidays!

Anne Evenhaugen

Librarian, Head

Smithsonian American Art and Portrait Gallery Library

202.633.8227

http://library.si.edu/libraries/aapg

[log in to unmask]" alt="SLdots">