https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/14/arts/the-best-art-books-of-2017.html?emc=edit_th_20171215&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=52803271

Check out today’s “New York Times Best Art Books 2017.” It’s very inspirational. I reference some very impactful quotes, which reaffirm why we have art libraries.

Quote from Roberta Smith: “All books are objects, intimate ones in fact, made to be held and loved. Exhibition catalogs and art books can really bring on the love. They have more room for the imagination and more images (hugely important) and they also invite greater expectations. They rise or fall on cover design and material; proportions and heft; paper stock and fonts; the way images and text combine on the pages — all of which we start to comprehend the moment we take hold of an art book. We expect whole worlds; many deliver.”

Quote from Jason Farago: “I always read the catalogs of exhibitions I see, but just as important are the catalogs of shows I miss. If it’s done right, these books can be every bit as engrossing as a museum presentation — and these days, in a global art world where none of us can catch every show, they offer an essential guide to cities and institutions abroad.”

Margaret D. Ericson|Arts Librarian and Copyright Liaison|Bixler Art and Music Library|Colby College Libraries|5662 Mayflower Hill|Waterville, Maine 04901|

(207) 859-5662