From: ARLIS/NA List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Morris, Elizabeth
Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 10:24 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARLIS-L] Grove Art / Oxford Art Online

I'm also in agreement about the issues with the new interface for Oxford Art Online; what is very frustrating is the limited search option that is presented to the user.

Chris -
I am of a different mind in regards to ODNB and see similar issues with its search interface that I find with Oxford Art Online; the search interface is very NON-user-friendly and while simple in appearance, it is overly complicated. While I appreciate the rich datasets that are going on behind the scenes, the search is misguided - 'Search Articles' isn't intuitive for a user simply trying to locate a biographical entry, and there are only 2 types of results that I can see currently - articles and images. The results that are returned are large and clunky, and not as succinct as they were previously (name, dates, occupation); instead one must scroll through the results and read fuller entries to locate the correct individual. Of course, narrowing by occupation or religious affiliation makes it slightly easier, however, what if someone does not know these aspects of the individual or are unfamiliar?  They are also automatically listed A-Z and the search boxes on both pages are not prominent enough to direct a user's attention.

The best feature of the new interface is the article itself - with a list of contents on the left-side panel, linked resources in the 'Sources' area, and further resources outside of the database itself.

Personally, I hope updates are made both to Oxford Art and ODNB on search interfaces that incorporate the sophisticated data displayed, but within the more user-friendly and natural search interfaces that i very much appreciated before the updates.

Best regards,

Beth Morris, Assistant Librarian
Reference Library and Archives
Yale Center for British Art