Collection Development Librarian - Harvard University, Cambridge, MA

Duties & Responsibilities

Harvard University seeks an innovative, collaborative, and user-centered Collection Development Librarian to build and manage collections for one of the leading libraries in the world for the study of art, architecture, and visual culture from antiquity to the present. Reporting to the Herman and Joan Suit Librarian of the Fine Arts Library, the incumbent will select monographs and serials in all formats and work collaboratively with selectors in the Fine Arts Library and across Harvard Library. The incumbent will proactively partner with Harvard Library colleagues to develop creative solutions and efficient workflows for managing, acquiring, processing, and preserving library materials. He/she will actively engage with the visual arts community at Harvard to support innovative use of library collections in their teaching, research, and learning activities. To expand access to the Fine Arts Library's unparalleled holdings of books, journals, visual resources, and special collections to a wider global audience, the Collection Development Librarian will participate in local, national, and international digital initiatives and collaborative collection development partnerships.

TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES

·         Perform monograph and serial collection development processes in the Fine Arts Library for the Americas, Western Europe and portions of Eastern Europe (from antiquity to 1900), Africa, Australasia, Oceania, and other southern Pacific nations in all formats.

·         Work together with the Librarian and other Fine Arts Library selectors for Islamic, East Asian, Modern and Contemporary, and Special Collections to acquire antiquarian monographs, serials, and primary sources.

·         Ensure effective stewardship of the materials budget, including monitoring acquisition budgets and fund assignments for 8,000-10,000 titles annually, ongoing assessment of budget allocations, establishing target deadlines for ordering materials, and prioritizing requests for endowment and end-of-year purchasing.

·         Actively contribute to relevant Harvard College and Harvard Library collection development working groups, committees, councils, and innovative projects.

·         Maintain and update Fine Arts Library collection policy in consultation with FAL selectors and collection development colleague across the Harvard Libraries.

·         Continuously evaluate print and digital publication trends in art history, architectural history, and the fine and applied arts.

·         Communicate regularly about current and emerging research areas and interests with faculty, graduate and undergraduate students, Harvard Art Museum educators, curators, fellows, and interns, and visiting scholars.

·         Exchange information and best practices proactively with selectors in the Harvard College Library and across the Harvard Libraries for shared purchases, purchase recommendations, and intentional duplication.

·         Contribute to collaborative collection development and digital projects with external partners, e.g., Ivies Art and Architecture Group.

·         Create and maintain in-depth and relevant content for multiple web presences for Fine Arts Library collections and collection-related events and news.

·         Assess collection strengths and correct weaknesses for curricular and research support and create routine and customized acquisitions and collections reports using COGNOS and other tools.

·         Establish and maintain effective and efficient relationships with approval, firm order, and antiquarian vendors and booksellers.

·         Work together with the Librarian and other Fine Arts Library selectors to negotiate and acknowledge gifts of materials and funds.

·         Work proactively and collaboratively with Information Technology Services staff to insure consistent and efficient vendor relations and processing routines.

·         Work proactively and collaboratively with Access Services collection management staff to plan for collection care, and stack space planning, and ongoing transfer of materials to the Harvard Depository.

·         Work proactively and collaboratively with Preservation, Conservation, and Digital Imaging on disaster planning, collections care guidelines, environmental concerns, and digital preservation and access projects.

·         Participates in research services and activities, including contributing to regular hours of support for special collections researchers in collaboration with other librarians. Provides in-depth research consultations and interprets and resolves complex reference questions for library patrons, as needed.

Position will remain posted until filled, however applications will be reviewed beginning November 3, 2017.

At the Harvard Library, our work is enriched by our diverse campus community. Our unique and wide-ranging abilities, experiences, and perspectives are integral to achieving Harvard University's mission of excellence in research, teaching, and learning for our patrons, our collections, and our workplace. We believe that an inclusive environment that cultivates and promotes understanding, respect, and collaboration across our diverse workforce enables our success.

We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences and abilities to apply to be a part of our community of over 700 staff members. Our work with faculty, students and researchers to explore answers to intellectual questions, enduring and new, and to seek solutions to the world's most consequential problems, requires that we not only reflect, but also champion our diverse society.

A global leader, the Harvard Library is a pre-eminent research library that acquires, disseminates, and preserves knowledge. Harvard's Library holdings range from traditional print collections to rapidly expanding inventories of digital resources. It is the work of the Harvard Library to provide the University's faculty, students, and researchers-now and in the future-with comprehensive access over time to all of these materials.

Learn more about our contributions to the academic enterprise by visiting us at http://lib.harvard.edu/about-usand about the Harvard University community at http://hr.harvard.edu/why-harvard.

The Harvard Library is a proud member of the ACRL Diversity Alliance.

Job Function
Library

Sub Unit
------------

Location
USA - MA - Cambridge

Department
Harvard College Library - Fine Arts Library

Time Status
Full-time

Union
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary

Salary Grade
057

Pre-Employment Screening
Criminal, Education, Identity

EEO Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.

Harvard University seeks an innovative, collaborative, and user-centered Collection Development Librarian to build and manage collections for one of the leading libraries in the world for the study of art, architecture, and visual culture from antiqu, Harvard University seeks an innovative, collaborative, and user-centered Collection Development Librarian to build and manage collections for one of the leading libraries in the world for the study of art, architecture, and visual culture from antiqu

Basic Qualifications

·         Master's degree in library and/or information science or equivalent experience

·         A minimum of 5 years of experience in collection development/acquisitions experience required.

·         Extensive in-depth knowledge of the field of Art and Architectural History

·         Working knowledge of Western European languages.

·         Hands-on experience with library systems acquisitions, budgeting, and reporting applications.

·         Expert level experience with arts and humanities databases and other digital research tools.

·         Experience working with book publishing and the book trade.

·         Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills to work effectively with culturally diverse library users and colleagues.

Additional Qualifications

·         Advanced degree in Art History, or equivalent, preferred.

·         Evidence of a strong service orientation and demonstrated ability to work effectively with faculty, students, library users, and library colleagues.

·         Knowledge of scholarly communication trends and commitment to principles of open access.

·         Knowledge of intellectual property issues related to art library collections and services.

·         Strong technology skills and an enthusiasm for adopting new technologies and systems that expand access to collections and to facilitate their use in research and teaching.

·         Record of engagement with professional groups and activities and/or contributions to professional or scholarly literature.

PHYSICAL DEMANDS

·         The ability to lift, carry, and position books and other materials weighing up 15 lbs.

·         The ability to use desktop (keyboard, monitor, and mouse) and mobile computing tools, such as laptops and tablets.

WORK ENVIRONMENT

·         The work associated with this position is performed in an office, reading room, and library stack settings.

Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/hsf6thw29ttkx7rm

PI99564770