Hello colleagues.

I'm asking a renegade question. I'm writing to those academic libraries with
significant institutional museum collections. I'm writing from the
perspective of making book holdings pertaining to museum holdings more
discoverable with the addition of local notes or added entries etc. While we
have Google Books to enable us to delve into the full text of academic books
to discover content undiscoverable through our typical ILS, I wonder if any
libraries out there add local notes to their ILS to make more discoverable
scholarly content found in books pertaining to museum holdings. For example,
in a book called Taxing Visions, there is a lengthy discussion of a painting
in one's museum. However the cataloging metadata doesn't reflect this. Does
anyone out attempt to add local notes to their catalog record to identify
value added content for museum works not discoverable through our library
systems. I know it's a long shot.

Margaret D. Ericson|Arts Librarian and Copyright Liaison|Bixler Art and
Music Library|Colby College Libraries|5662 Mayflower Hill|Waterville, Maine
04901|

(207) 859-5662