Greetings all,

I was asked to share the suggestions I received to my question about image sharing software back in August. Many, many thanks to everyone for their suggestions! I learned about some great new tools that I look forward to exploring further.
We wound up using Shared Shelf, which had only been used here for a public digital archive project; an Artstor rep helped us set it up so images cataloged in this Shared Shelf project are published only to a private Artstor folder. This was necessary because the teacher wanted students to share images (for a drawing course) from a variety of sources including catalogs and monographs.

Other suggestions were:

*         Dropbox Papers

*         Pinterest (Normally the boards are public, but the faculty member could make secret boards and invite the students to add images to them.  Images can either be added from online sources or they can be uploaded from a computer or other device if they're not online.  The students would be able to include the metadata as part of the text when they add an image, and other students or the faculty member would be able to comment on the images.)

*         Portfolio Tools (Duke's been experimenting with Pebblepad, something we have a site license for. You might ask your admins because the software is largely being pushed by assessment types (at least at Duke) and not humanities folks.  Portfolio tools are exactly what you describe and faculty can use the "Atlas" plugin to freeze assignments and create closed class components.  Students have their own control of the overall portfolio and Duke is hoping that this will be sort of digital resume they take with them.)

*         Dropmark (free trial, was very user friendly for collaboration between various team members)

*         Do you have access to Artstor but not to Shared Shelf? Can this class assignment wait until after September? If so, maybe the students in the class could be granted Instructor Privileges in Artstor and then they can create Personal Collections, annotate them, and share them to password-protected image groups? See: http://support.artstor.org/?article=personal-collections-overview. If that sounds like a viable option to you, perhaps Artstor can confirm when upload and data entry for Personal Collections will resume?

I really appreciate everyone's efforts to help. What a great community!
Best wishes,

Maryke Barber

Maryke Barber | Public Services and Arts Liaison Librarian
Wyndham Robertson Library

Hollins University
P.O. Box 9000, Roanoke, VA 24020
http://library.hollins.edu | [log in to unmask]  | 540-362-6592

Currently reading "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay" by Michael Chabon and listening to "The Women in the Castle" by Jessica Shattuck.