Dear Alison:

     This seems like noble undertaking.  And since it’s a question  which might interest our colleagues, I’m submitting this to the List Serve as well.

     It's not clear from your e-mail whether you are interested in more recent veterans of wars in Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq or even Korea.  I think you can pretty much assume that most artists of draft age at the outset of Second World War either served as draftees or enlisted.  This would be fairly easy to determine by considering the age of American artists in your collection during the years 1942-1945, and then checking their biographies.  Of course there were quite a few who also served as war artists, and there is a considerable literature on that subject for both the World Wars.  To make a list of all artists who served but are not in your collection would be a much vaster project than what I've suggested.  That too would be a noble undertaking but probably beyond the scope of the most ambitious scholar.

    I assume you are primarily interested in the mid-twentieth century and later, though is a good deal of literature in combat artists in the First World War.  I will direct you to some material on World War Two

    For the years 1942-1945, there were exhibitions in the war years of artists serving in the armed forces, and there were even a few exhibitions strictly by veterans after the war ended, There were also several publications during the war devoted to art by soldiers; notably Crane, Aimée, editor, G.I. Sketch Book (1944); her Marines at War (1943); and her Art in the Armed Forces, Pictured by Men in Action (1944).  Crane's books emphasize the art created by those in uniform not commissioned as combat artists.

For official war artists, see, for example:
Chrysler Corporation.  Significant War Scenes by Battlefront Artists
MacKenzie, DeWitt.  Men Without Guns,. 1945 (paintings and drawings by twelve commissioned artists honoring the contributions of the Medical Corps in World War II),
The Abbott Collection: Paintings of Naval Aviation (1944)
Baldwin, Hanson W.  The Navy at War: Paintings and Drawings by Combat Artists (1943)

Also, perusing the art magazines of the period, notably Art Digest and Art News will yield a great deal on artists serving in uniform, and can be quite fun.  .

And then of course there were many veterans who started art school after the war under the GI bill.  This number would exceed the number of those who worked as combat artists during the war itself, or who like those in Crane's books, were not yet professional.

   It's an interesting subject, but I think it best and more manageable to work from your collection outwards, rather than from what's out there to determine any interconnections.  These are just some thoughts on the Second World War, which produced so many veterans.  I would guess that there are not many veterans of the more recent wars in most museum collections, since most who served were not draftees except those from the Vietnam war.

Raymond Smith
R.W. Smith Bookseller
New Haven

Dear Collective Wisdom,

We are looking to compile a list of artists in our collection who are veterans.  As this isn’t something we capture in our documentary info on our objects, I’m looking to gather a list of artists who are/were veterans and compare against artists in our collection.  I was wondering if anyone has ever worked on anything like this and could share names or has any recommendations of resources that might highlight artist veterans.

Thanks!!

-Alison

Alison L. Huftalen, M.A., M.L.S.

Head Librarian